Indian Head Massage
What is Indian head massage?
Indian head massage is an ancient therapeutic treatment that has been practiced in India for thousands of years, and is incredibly relaxing. Part of the Hindu health care practice of Ayurveda, Indian head massage focuses on your head, neck and shoulders. It is a deep massage, which uses a variety of pressure and techniques that tap into your seven “‘chakras” or paths of energy and encourage healing and balance in your whole body.
Indian head massage has become a popular component of combined treatments or rituals, including massage and facials.
What to Expect From an Indian Head Massage
An Indian Head massage is the ideal way to get a person “out of their head”, far far away from everyday emotional and mental stress.
The massage usually goes between 25 – 45 minutes, and may or may not use certain oils in the hair and on the body. Starting at the upper back, the Indian Head masseuse begins by applying pressure to points that dissolve knots and relax the muscles. They then move to the shoulders and upper arms to release other common areas of tension, and to the neck and head to release headache-causing blockages and to encourage better circulation of the cerebral fluid. The massage then progresses to the scalp, relaxing the entire head, encouraging circulation and stimulating hair growth. Lastly, the masseuse may choose to perform a gentle face massage that may relieve symptoms of sinusitis & headaches, and encourages good circulation and a glowing complexion.
An Indian Head Massage may prove beneficial by:
- Relieving built up tension that can often result in headaches, migraines, neck and back pain..
- Detoxifying the body by stimulating lymphatic drainage
- Boosting overall immunity
- Improving circulation, which in turn increases energy levels.
- Promoting clarity and increased concentration.
- Soothes symptoms of asthma by calming the respiratory system.
- Relieves Mandibular Joint Tension.
- Increases muscle tone.
- Relieves symptoms of sinusitis.
- Boosts cerebral spinal fluid circulation.
- Relieves sleeplessness, restlessness and insomnia.
An Indian Head massage may also improve overall mental health by:
- Relieving symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Providing relief from stress and promotes relaxation
- Improving concentration levels
- Renewing energy levels
- Increasing feelings of peace, calm and well being.
- Boosting memory capabilities